Benefits of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Homes

Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized. We highly suggest the investment and learning more about this deadly gas. Below are frequently asked questions:

What is Carbon Monoxide?

  • Carbon monoxide is a gas that is a by-product of combustion, such as fumes given off by a generator or furnace. The gas is odorless and colorless, and slowly displaces the oxygen if an area isn’t well ventilated. The gas can bind to red blood cell molecules, limiting the body’s ability to circulate oxygen.

Where is CO found?

  • CO is found in fumes created any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison individuals and animals who breathe it.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

  • The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, indigestion, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are typically described as “flu-like.” If you inhale a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. Those who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

Who is at risk from CO poisoning?

  • Everyone is at risk for CO poisoning. Infants, the elderly, people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or breathing problems are more likely to get sick from CO.

 

Residents can help protect themselves from poisoning by getting a carbon monoxide detector.

Very similar to a smoke detector, the device senses the amount of carbon monoxide within the area, emitting an alarm once the concentration becomes too dangerous.

Firefighters said although the incidents don’t seem to be precisely common, fire departments typically receives a number of calls during the autumn and winter months as residents activate their furnaces and other heating appliances, failure to properly ventilate can cause the gas building up. Additionally, when a home features a fuel burning appliance, a CO detector must be installed. Residents with wood burning fireplaces should check their chimneys and ensure that there is no debris blocking the way, as carbon monoxide can build up that way as well.

A working smoke alarm system is a great investment for the protection of family and properties. Nearly seventy percent of fire scenes examined between 2006 and 2011, had no functioning fire alarm, according to the office of the fire Commissioner.

Victims who are asleep might never wake up when the gas fills the area may never become aware of the danger. A person who is conscious might begin to experience flu-like symptoms, starting with a headache and nausea, followed by increasing weakness and disorientation, eventually resulting in unconsciousness. Be safe and make the investment. Give us a call if you have any questions or need help with an install. 734-655-1360